Tuesday, November 2, 2010

First the background.

My name is Claudia. I spent the first part of my rather casual endurance career riding a crazy homebred 1/2 Arab gelding named Akbar. I adored him. Sadly I lost him due to a pasture accident in which he broke his fetlock - and he was euthanized. I was devastated, that was it, I was done. No more horses for me.

A short time later while having coffee over at a friends house, she pulled over the local horses for sale rag and forced me to look at a horse that was listed for sale. I wasn't interested. Luckily for me, my friend that day knew better than I did about what I needed - was a new challenge to take my mind off the still very raw hurt of losing my horse.

So we went to see him. My word. A 3 year old 1/2 Arab/Appaloosa gelding. No manners, no mind, no feet. He'd hardly been handled and his breeder/owner appeared to be rather 'nervous' - not a promising start.

Not really interested, any rate I entered his pen and gave him a hello nice to meet you pat on his neck. Well - that is when I met my match. He stretched his head way up, and looked down at me as if I wasn't even there. I purchased him on the spot.

Apache Thunder Gunner came home with me.

He bit, he kicked, he reared, he bucked, he didn't trailer, he didn't tie. What was I thinking? Other than all I thought when I first saw that imperious 'who the hell are you?' look was.. I have to own this horse.

thus, horsegarten began. We learned it's not polite to strike out or bite - or charge and rear people on the lungeline. the first time I backed him, he laid down- and said, 'nu uh- I don't think so.' Yep my work was cut out for me.

Eventually I managed to ride him without him lying down- we went further and a bit further.. did I mention Apache can buck? Really buck. Like no other horse I've ever owned bucked. And he grew... larger by the day.
At the age of 3, he was about 14.3hh give or take- I expected him to top out at there. No. He had other plans. HE.KEPT.GROWING. and when you have a horse with a high level of bucking ability thats a damn long way down.

finally we were ready (several years later) to try our first LD ride. We went slow, but did a completion. the second ride- Apache threw a rodeo fit on the way to the start line- the vet was impressed with his bucking skill. I almost lasted 8 seconds apparently.

the next 2 LDS, he stayed sane and we completed. Then I took this year off and did nothing but miles. Hence begins our journey. Apache's and mine together - as far as the road leads, and as many miles as it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment